From: phill at andrew.cmu.edu (Peter J Hill)
Subject: Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun

On Feb 4, 2004, at 2:14 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> If I hear one more time that the internet was invented in the '90s,
> or Al Gore invented it in the '80s, or MIT invented it in the '70s
> I am gonna scream!  We were hacking the net in the '60s!

Of course the Internet has been around for in one way or another for a
long time. My favorite account of the BBNs work is "Where Wizards Stay
up Late"
http://www.simonsays.com/titles/0684812010/wizards.html

In defense of Al Gore, though... He never said that he invented the
Internet. He said "During my service in the United States Congress, I
took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took the initiative in
moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven to be
important to our country's economic growth and environmental
protection, improvements in our educational system."
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.htm

In the same manner that Ronald Reagan did not tear down the Berlin Wall
or George Bush captured Saddam, Al Gore did not write the code to
create the routers and work with his soldering gun or whatever was
needed to "Create the Internet"

The whole Al Gore thing is an politically created urban legend that
does not need to continue to exist.

Anyway... back to your regularly scheduled excitement...

Peter Hill