From: ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com (Kenton Smith)
Subject: Re: Virus infect on single user

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 11:09, Steffen Hetzel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 13:18:49 +0200
> "Rompax We Burn Everything" <rompax@...mail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am a kind of newbiews on the virus matter but as everybody do, i
> > want to keep my pc as safe as i can. i have install Mcaffe and Zone
> > alarm pro for firewalls and i used some utilies to clean my machine
> > from spyware and trojans.
>
> Take a look at
> http://www.ntsvcfg.de/ntsvcfg_us.html and
> www.sysinternals.com
> try to understand, why you dont need a Personal Firewall. And if you
> think that you really need one, try KerioPF v2.1.5

I'm not trying to start this miserable debate again, so please read
the whole email before you flame me ;)

I read through a bunch of this stuff and couldn't find anywhere where
it says you don't need a firewall. It's all about making sure that your
instance of Windows is as secure as possible, but once you've done that
you still need a firewall. They also don't mention anything about
keeping your patch levels up to date either.
These get thrown around a lot - "Security is a process, not a product."
and "Defence in depth.".

I think the most important advice for the original poster is; Know your
tools. You got this pop-up thing because you thought that by having
Anti-virus and Firewall software that you were fully protected. However
you didn't know what your were still open to. You need to learn what
these tools do and more importantly, what they don't do.

Kenton