From: daniele at muscetta.com (Daniele Muscetta)
Subject: Operating Systems Security, 'Microsoft Security, baby steps'

Todd Burroughs said:
> Kudos to SuSE, keep up the good work!  We're getting nervous with the
> Novell thing, but keep security first.

Yeah..... tell Novell, indeed:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2968352.htm

for their propreitary Groupwise Webmail interface I have been waiting for
MONTHS for this fix.... it has been in BETA for months now, looks like
forever.... and it says:
[...] This patch also addresses OpenSSL security vulnerabilities described
in CERT? Advisories CAN-2003-0543 (VU#255484), CAN-2003-0544 (VU#380864),
VU#686224, and VU#732952 [...]
....which is not yesterday's bug. But a much older one.
It's kept very quiet though. Any other distro/vendor has had it fixed for
ages now.
I believe that the known exploits for linux/unix don't work on Netware so
they think it is safe to take that long to fix it.....
Yeah, this BETA fix is there.... but:
[...] Groupwise 6.5 WebAccess SP2 Field Test File revision E. This patch
should be used to verify bug fixes prior to the official release of
GroupWise 6.5 Support Pack 2. Fixes in this FTF are not guaranteed to be
included in the shipping release of Groupwise 6.5 SP2. [...]
So.... is one supposed to install it or not ?

Good that SuSE *still* works indipendently enough.

Daniele