From: dave at horsfall.org (Dave Horsfall)
Subject: Ancient Trivia: +++ath0

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Cowles, Robert D. wrote:

> Hayes implemented a "guard" ... they required a pause between the "+++"
> and the following command. When other manufacturers implemented the
> command set, they had to make some small changes so they could claim
> they hadn't *completely* ripped off the Hayes command set ... they left
> out the requirement for the pause.  So, on lots of non-Hayes modems, you
> could get them to hang up by just sending that string as data (or
> including it as data in a ping packet).

And another cool trick (implemented by the software, not the modem), was

NO CARRIER

at the start of a line.  <click> :-)

(Yes, I used to enjoy picking on DOS users, and still do.)

--
Dave Horsfall  DTM  VK2KFU                         Loyal Unix user since 1975
Booted from Spamtools for dissing the moderator: www.horsfall.org/levine.mail