From: jluehr at gmx.net (Jan Lühr)
Subject: 1 patch for 1 vulnerabiliy for Linux and BSD?  gunna try and sell us a bridge now too?

Greetings,

Am Mittwoch, 14. April 2004 22:18 schrieb Exibar:
> are you kidding me?  for years and years all I've heard from *nix people is
> how secure the OS is and that there aren't as many patches needed for it
> and if a vuln is found a patch is released right away....

hey, hey. Slow down. The number of patches is not a direct indicator of the
security of a system.
More complex system require more complex patches and more patches.
What you see here, is a DSA _synchronised_ with the release of 2.4.26. That
means, that because of no exploits going around here, some distributors
doesn't see any need to release fixes, before a the major distributors and
kernel.org could release the new versions.
Because kernel-release-version do not have a crappy patch-level-number, a lot
of issues were fixed in a new release. (Imagine you have a new release number
for every single one turned into a zero in the sources, every != turned into
a ==)
This time, five of them were security related. What's your point?

Please learn to quote.

Keep  smiling
yanosz