From: administrator at maginetworks.com (J. Theriault)
Subject: I'm looking for information about a file called
 winfix3.exe

Stacey Katz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope you can help. I'm looking for information about a file called
> winfix3.exe
>
> We have tried Mcafee, Norton and AdAware to try to find the potential
> virus or piece of malware.
>
> I have tried google. There is not much information out there.
>
> The application seems to start with windows via a reg setting. It
> generates lots of network traffic.
>
> Any help or information would be appreciated.
>
> Stacey

Stacey,

By searching google, it seems to be a virus; But the information found
through Google is that the virus is named "Randex.Gen" and that Norton
can detect it.

   (This information is from
http://www.mcse.ms/archive118-2004-4-618750.html)

   The Symantec page for Randex.Gen is here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.randex.gen.html

Since your version of Norton does not seem to detect a virus, perhaps
you should upload the file to AVERT WebImmune
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp for a full analysis.

Kaspersky labs's free online virus scan at
http://www.kaspersky.com/scanforvirus.html works much the same way but
does not require registration.

Hope this helps,

J. Theriault