From: edge at indiana.edu (Edge, Ronald D)
Subject: Name One Web Site Compromised by Download.Ject?

Uh, actually, I think you sorta missed the point of my post,
which was pretty much the purpose of this list, namely, full
disclosure. Not only are we not getting full disclosure on just
what sites were involved, we are not getting ANY worth speaking of.

Thus it is part of the same coverup of the growing trend of
computer exploits over the past 15 years with the growth of the
Internet that has been so assiduously pursued by businesses, mainly
to hide their own embarrassment and potential liability exposure.

Now the criminal activity has reached a fever pitch
since the beginning of the MSBlast exploits and their followups,
and now we see the next major phase, three major exposures of
trojans loaded from web sites to browsers (not just IE, see latest
exploit of help features in multiple browsers). Covering up like
this by not naming and exposing the sites just isn't going to
cut it much longer. Just as companies sticking their heads in the
sand and hiding the fact does not ultimately help, it harms.

Back to the point: full-exposure just happens to be the name of
this list. My point had little to do with the specific exploits,
and everything to do with legal and social context of the what I
see as a pathetic coopting of the media to hide the identities of
compromised web sites, which according to rumor include some
major league sites.

My 02.5 cents worth.

Ron.

Ronald D. Edge
Director of Information Systems
Indiana University Intercollegiate Athletics
edge@...iana.edu  (812)855-9010
http://iuhoosiers.com

Corporate IT's reaction to spyware has been surprising: it's been
largely swept under the rug. The problem is that you can't hide an
elephant by sweeping it under the rug. It leaves quite a bulge.