From: billybobknob at hotmail.com (Billy Bob)
Subject: XP hangs on startup - no safemode options help !

I have noticed in the past couple of weeks that my XP Professional system
and many friends XP Pro systems are hanging on startup.  I have tried
safemode and each system hangs on a different driver. For example one system
hung on \Windows\AppPatch\drvmain.sdb and another hung on
\Windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys.

I have also tried all other safemode options, including Last Known Good
Configuration which only worked on one system.

All systems are up to date with Windows critical updates but no service
packs are installed.  All machines are also running Norton AV 2003 with up
to date definitions.

I think that a recent Microsoft patch or malware of some kind may be causing
this.
Has anyone else had similar problems ?
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance