From: lists at ktabic.co.uk (ktabic)
Subject: SP2 is killing me. Help?

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 15:54 -0500, Ron DuFresne wrote:
> Ahh, but this was an error on your end sir, M$ has always advised that
> patching or adding apps to the system should be done with everything
> closed, and in most cases users are best served to reboot and patch/add
> apps prior to doing anything but logging into the system.  sure, most of
> the time many of the warnings about closing other applications and such
> can be ignored, but, with major patches like this, one should verge on the
> order of most caution.

Hmm, ok. So you should never have anything open?
Automatic updates has the option to have it download and install the
updates in the background, while you work.
Still, I suppose never using the system would improve the stability.
Also, once this hits Window Updates (this targetted at the people
saying: read the relase notes), how many are going to?
The answer is not: 'Well they should do!!!'
For that matter, how many are even going to realise that it's a service
pack?