From: mike at ampeisch.com (mike@...eisch.com)
Subject: Google Desktop Search

Not necessarily -- that's what "salt" characters are for in crypto. Check
out "Applied Cryptography".  The added value is that if you have the plain
text password, you have the password, if you have the hash, you still have
to crack it, or BF it.  MD5sum is one of the methods that Unix/Linux use
for OS password storage.  What Yahoo is doing isn't perfect, but it's a
damn site better than pointless.

M.