From: sean01 at accnet.com.au (Sean Crawford)
Subject: why o why did NASA do this.

After looking through some of the dirs on this ftp site I'm wondering what
use it is at all.
Just about everything I could look at hailed from 1996 or earlier.
Either way I'll bet the logs on that server would make an interesting read
for someone now.
Sean.

--->
---> Harry de Grote wrote:
--->
---> >i have to admit... it's pretty old and useless, but i think
---> this may be a nice
---> >place for spammers to try out some new adresses...
---> >
---> >
---> >
---> This is *NOT* the major issue that everyone is blowing it out to be.
--->
---> Lists like this are available on many organization/company websites.
---> This mailing list itself is a vast treasure-trove of data for
---> spammers.
---> In fact, it's a far more lucrative one because the users span multiple
---> active e-mail domains.
--->
---> Even with this abundance of e-mail accounts, spammers STILL
---> use botnets
---> and the like to send out spam to random e-mails.  Spammers
---> don't need a
---> list of verified e-mails to spam people, not the way that they
---> do things.
--->
---> Not to mention that people listed in this file aren't an
---> amazing target
---> for spam.  Do you think someone thinking "Hmmm... where can I find
---> stupid people who will respond to my random scam e-mail?" is going to
---> respond with "I know!  Nasa!"  I mean, seriously, they're
---> going to spend
---> their time spamming AOL, not Nasa.  Even with that, I'm sure that they
---> do it...and they don't even need this list to do it.
--->
---> Come on people, rather than being scared of the monster in the closet,
---> can we apply a logic filter to things like this?
--->
--->              -Barry
--->
---> p.s.  Spam is a nuisance that occassionally includes exploits
---> to achieve
---> a further goal.  Sending spam may include the act of compromising
---> systems, but recieving (and subsequently deleting) spam does not
---> constitute a security issue.  Random people can e-mail you.  Random
---> people have always been able to e-mail you.  If this scares you, go on
---> Paxil and get over you Generalized Anxiety Disorder condition.   The
---> only instance where I can see the reciept of spam as a
---> security issue is
---> if it's DoS'ing your network, and that is a different issue altogether.
--->
-
--->