From: mnv at alumni.princeton.edu (MN Vasquez)
Subject: Help, possible rootkit

Any odd traffic coming to or from this machine?  What's a sniffer telling
you.

I might've missed it, but is this a home user machine or in a business
place?

Do you have issues running in safe mode?  If you don't, then it would sound
like the rootkit's not running, which means you can probably look at some of
the normal places for a file/processes loading/starting.

I don't know about the rest of the list, but I haven't seen or heard of too
many process hiding xp rootkits that are undetectable by some of the basic
methods mentioned.  See www.rootkit.com.  At least, not floating around on a
single PC that sounds like an unlikely "high value" target.  It seems much
more likely that XP or an application is just crapping out on you, and if
you can't figure it out,  reinstall.  If nothing is revealed after trying
some of the methods already suggested here and by others, I think the
likelihood -- given the info you've told us so far -- makes it's unlikely
that it's a rootkit.

My 2 cents.

>>> 25 - 30 % usage, but when I open it, there is no process listed using
>>> this
>>> much.
>>> - I did a netstat, fport, openports and none of these show that I have
>>> any
>>> odd ports open or any connections established.
>>> - even when I disconnect from the Internet these symptoms do not stop.
>> They
>>> stop if I reboot, but then start again.
>>>
>>> I have ran VICE, Klister, PatchFinder and RkDetect from rootkit.com and
>> they
>>> could not find anything.
>>>
>>> Any more suggestions ?
>>> Any more rootkit finding tools for Windows ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bill