From: chows at ozemail.com.au (Gregh)
Subject: Help, possible rootkit

----- Original Message -----
From: "MN Vasquez" <mnv@...mni.princeton.edu>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] Help, possible rootkit

> I don't know about the rest of the list, but I haven't seen or heard of too
> many process hiding xp rootkits that are undetectable by some of the basic
> methods mentioned.

Just FYI of anyone really interested in why a mouse is doing odd things since installing SP2 on XP, it is actually more common than you think and in what I have seen to date (which is, by no means, long enough to be 100% sure) limited to USB mouse users on XP using SP2. Put the mouse up the top quarter of the screen near the right hand edge and almost always, the user's pointer drifts left. Revert to SP1 and it doesn't happen.

I haven't looked for a fix as yet but I suspect it is either just a mouse driver reinstall or an update needed.

Note - for the paranoid, I don't claim this as the answer in every case. It has been what has happened on about 30 I have seen so far. Doesn't appear to affect a PS2 port mouse.

Greg.