From: koxenrider at sol-biotech.com (Keith Oxenrider)
Subject: Re: Evidence Mounts that the Vote Was Hacked

I would like to suggest that the core problem with elections in the US
(electronic, opscan, hanging chad, etc.) is that the system is NOT in the
hands of the electorate, rather in the hands of partisan political
appointees who have no interest in any system designed in an open,
verifiable way.  I like what I read in Prakash's paper, but I have read
many such proposals and many alternatives many of which have mathematical
proofs (some better than others) and all open.  Instead of our government
(I am a US citizen) asking experts in secure communications to
design/validate an open system (take DES and AES for example) we have
political backroom pandering being done obscuring (indeed attempting to
make illegal to even study) the system implemented.  Until (and if) this
changes there is no hope that any open, independently verifiable system can
be put in place.  No one in the security biz would accept the use of a
closed-source cryptography system, why the heck are we using a closed
source election system?