From: krmaxwell at gmail.com (Kyle Maxwell)
Subject: Microsoft AntiSpyware - First Impressions

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 17:57:55 +0800, irfan.syed@...co.com
<irfan.syed@...co.com> wrote:

> Yeah I tried it too, and the only thing it found on my PC was VNC server. I
> was, however, impressed that the tool explained very well what the program
> was for and how it could be used for spying.

It picked up WinPCap libraries on my system (from the Ethereal
install), nothing else. I wouldn't have much else on there for it to
pick up, as I only use IE for some internal corporate apps that
require it. But the install was nice and seemed to be very
user-friendly for the non-techie types out there.

It may not be perfect (I thought the Spyware Community was essentially
sending back to a central site, didn't realize it was P2P, this
requires a closer look) but at a minimum it's nice to see MS giving
this some attention. Fix the IE holes and security model and maybe
we'd go even further... But that's a flame war for another day.

--
Kyle Maxwell
[krmaxwell@...il.com]