From: kiwi at oav.net (Xavier Beaudouin)
Subject: New Internet Explorer Beta

Le 16 f?vr. 05, ? 05:19, William Lefkovics a ?crit :

> "The growth in usage of Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser is driven
> by
> factors that are not inherently sustainable."
> "Gartner has warned firms considering migrating to Firefox, an
> open-source
> browser from Mozilla, to think carefully."
> "Additionally, now that Firefox and other non-Microsoft browsers are
> denting
> IE's popularity, the bad guys are targetting them."
>  - Gartner Group
>
> I'm absolutely delighted that the decision to tie IE releases to
> Windows has
> been reversed.
> http://news.com.com/IE+update+to+debut+ahead+of+plans/2100-1032_3
> -5577263.ht
> ml
>
> And Firefox is no panacea.  It is just another browser with a
> different set
> of issues.  A good backup browser, really.

No browser is the best, any has flaws and problems, but the good thing
of firefox, is
that there is lots of plugins that works, it is cross platform browser
(eg you make
one application that work on firefox unix, then is _will_ works on
windows, os X, whatever...).

Also adblock XPI extension work like a charm, pages go faster and you
don't waste bandwith with
stupid ads animated gifs that stop you to work correctly.

Now the only one browser that is secured is telnet <host> 80 but it is
really not usuable...

We have to live with security holes or software limitation because
everything in the life is
like this : car, food, etc... internet software industry (even
opensource one) is young and
internet usage is fast, so if we have fast fixup and bug solved fast
then this is ok...

Now problem is legacy software users that still use some old browser (I
know some, and I
really think that 80% of end users are  like this) that have system
totaly owned by trojan
and whatever.

Software company has to think about this lazy users and make something
working... Even if they
have a 33.6k modem connection to upgrade.... (an XP SP2 by modem is
brain damaged and really
utopic).

This users are really dangerous for us, and dangerous for them
(numerous users had problem
with justice because they didn't upgrade their system. their system was
used for prohibited
file exchange)....

/Xavier

--
Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
President of Kazar Organization : http://www.kazar.net/