From: dan_20407 at msn.com (DAN MORRILL)
Subject: CISSP Test

I think in reading the multiple threads on this issue, there there are a
number of perspectives on the value of the CISSP.

What was most interesting was the CEO's perspective. Since the CISSP is a
boot camp, and the SANS is bootcampable in the longer run with the removal
of the practicle. The real question is working towards a certificate that
demonstrates ability to work in the security arena, one that is really hard
to get, and one that really tests the ability to do the work.

While CISSP and SANS are great to have as a resume filter, it does not imply
that anyone with either certificate to their name can actually do the work.
What I am seeing is that many people are going for these, and have them, but
had them a result from an IDS system, or ask them to do a security design
for either a network or a chunk of code, the ability to actually perform the
task is not there, even though they have the certificate.

Personally, I believe the community needs something, certificate, degree,
internship, what ever, that actually means you can perform competently in
the security arena. That there is a skill set there that the entire
community agree's upon is the minimum recommended skill set to work in this
field. If we had something like that, then any school that is pumping out
Bachelors of Information Security folks would have a standard. Anyone
building a bootcamp or certificate program would have an agreed upon
community standard to work with.

ISC2, ISSA, WSA, SANS, et al. Could build a board in conjunction with the
community, develop the minimum qualifications to work in the field, and
actually accomplish something once they have been certified or degreed. NSA
has been hugely successful in developing security schools through James
Madison, Boise, et al. But they have to agree to and teach to the minimum
standard that NSA has put together to meet the needs that NSA has
identified.

I think until we as a community agree upon a minimum standard, apply it
consistantly across the board much like doctors, lawyers, social workers,
and other degreed or licensed professionals, we will continue to have this
debate until the house burns down. As security professionals, as security
folks, we have the same ability to either do good, or do harm as any other
profession does. We need to understand this, and begin working towards skill
sets either certificate or degree that actually mean something useful at the
end of the day.

My thoughts, flames invited.
r/
Dan

Sometimes MSN E-mail will indicate that the mesasge failed to be delivered.
Please resend when you get those, it does not mean that the mail box is bad,
merely that MSN mail is over worked at the time.