From: cdupuis at cccure.org (Clement Dupuis)
Subject: CISSP Test

Robert E. Lee wrote:

"SANS programs have little to do with security.  I'm glad they changed their
policy.  They seem more honest now."

Good day Robert,

Honesty is a very neat goal to achieve, however it has many facets.

I lately learned (under all reserve, please correct me if you know
otherwise) that SANS no longer has any NON PROFIT portion left.  They used
to be registered as a non-profit entity in the state of Maryland but it
seems that it was dissolved.  Technically we could say there is no SANS
Institute left anymore as we knew it on the non profit side.  After they
dissolve SANS they created a FOR PROFIT corporation called ESCAL which
registered the names used in the non-profit as trademarks for their new for
profit organization.  Even thou you see the name GIAC and SANS being used
everywhere, they are all trademark (not organizations) of the new privately
owned company.

Principals at SANS have NEVER claimed to be non-profit, it is a myth that we
the people that have been dealing with SANS for a long time (since the time
they were non profit) have been propagating.  We have been keeping this myth
alive simply because we did not know any better and we did not know that the
non-profit was dissolved.  It was done without any noise or public
announcement to the people that were already certified.

So they NEVER lied but they never went to any length to inform people of the
real and current status of their corporation activity.  Most people think
that GIAC is non profit which is not the case anymore and this better
explains the decision of dropping the practical requirement: it does not
generate money and it is not a good business decision to keep something
alive that will become a drain on the bottom line.  Which is a bit contrary
to the reason given of improving the overall state of the security community
:-)

Take care

Clement