Date: Sat Jul 30 03:27:47 2005
From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 15:02:51 -1000, Jason Coombs said:
>>redesign, fundamentally, the turing machine so that before each
>>operation is performed a verification step is employed to ensure that
>
> Ahem. No.  You *can't* "ensure" it (although you *can* do things like bounds
> checking to *minimize* issues).
>
> It's called the Turing Halting Problem

We're not talking about proving/disproving the result of computation
here, we're talking about a simple logical step inserted prior to
transmission of operating instructions and data to a turing machine.

It does not invoke the Turing Halting Problem to ask the question
"should the following opcode be sent to the CPU / should the opcode be
read from memory and acted upon" ?

The simplest solution is to duplicate the machine code, placing one copy
in a protected storage and requiring the CPU to confirm that both the
active/RAM-resident copy and the protected storage copy match before
proceeding with computation.

This is superior to simply reading machine code from a protected storage
because the point is that malicious arbitrary code that overwrites or
reprograms or inserts itself into the runtime memory space of an active
process would easily defeat a volatile copy of a non-volatile protected
storage image of some machine code. Only by requiring the CPU to perform
a validation of each opcode instruction but allowing the CPU to continue
to behave in all other respects as it behaves today does the protection
arise. Other approaches are possible, but the basic idea of a separate
supply of bits useful for the runtime authentication of opcodes remains
the same.

Turing has nothing to say on this subject because he never contemplated
it, to the best of my knowledge. Turing never tried to defend against
buffer overflows back in the 1930s, yet people invoke him as a sage
unerring philosopher of our time. Why?

Regards,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org