Date: Tue Aug  9 11:07:58 2005
From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: "responsible disclosure"

Dominique Davis wrote:
> Can you state here in public that you have never done the samewhen you
> were starting out.Nothing personal bud ,But those who live in glass
> houses shouldnt through stones.

Here's my house:

http://www.jasoncoombs.com

No, I have never authored a report that mischaracterizes "data" found on
a hard drive as "proof of wrongdoing by a person". Data prove nothing.

Only people who need "computer forensics" to mean something more than it
really does so that they can have "careers" do such intolerable things.

I have published books and articles that contained inaccuracies. For
this I apologize. No apology can every restore the lives destroyed by
"computer forensics" used to gather "evidence" against those accused of
crimes.

Use whatever tools and information-gathering techniques you want to
conduct investigations, but stop telling lies to judges. Just stop.

Whether you're Cisco and playing like you're hurt so you can improperly
press your claim of "trade secrets" that do not exist, or whether you're
a prosecutor or law enforcement "forensic examiner" who just wouldn't
have a paycheck if you didn't "play along" -- just stop.

Bring on the stones. Do your worst. You and people like you are evil and
you must be stopped.

Sincerely,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org