Date: Sun Sep  4 15:51:13 2005
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: RE: Computer forensics to uncover
	illegalinternet use

Chuck Fullerton wrote:

> All,
>
> I do find this like of discussion very interesting.  However, there
> has been so much discussion that it's getting difficult to folllow.
> Therefore, I'd like to make the following recommendation for future posts.
>
> 1.  Minimize the text you to which you are replying to the pertinent info.
> 2.  Everyone use the same method of replying..  (i.e. inline, top or
> bottom)  I don't care which but it's really getting tough to follow.
> 3.  Keep the discussion going as I'm really getting alot out of this.  ;-)
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Chuck Fullerton

It is a pretty complex issue due to the questions raised. I'll try to
clip things a bit. It was hard to look at it in a simple manner because
it involves several interelated ares I tried to break it into the main
issues. Perhaps I should have tried to spell out my points a little more
clearly. But it gets down to the whole meat of all sorts of legal
things, like the questions of knowingfully and willfully doing something
proscribed. The attempts to seperate this from just overlooking of
something or the concerns  of privacy. The interesting thing for me was
when someone brought up the concept of  "virtual children" as that was
actually legally looked into.

What I think would be really edifying is what things are like in other
legal systems such as the EU systems and world courts. I say this
because one of the big uses of electronic evidence in prosecutions has
been with the federal courts attempts to prosecute sex tourists and the
not quite underground in that area. By that I mean one can buy the "Have
Sex Fun in Asia" books on the secondary open market.

My suspicion is there is convert attempt to push things into a more
interventionist stance in the hopes that things might be discovered.
The problem I see in states with extensive privacy like California is
how much one can go through a user's files without their leave.  As far
as I can tell there has been no real legal precedent and prosecution on
the ideas of that say sysadmins are overlooking something.

The really insteresting issue is whether the beginning of thread
question behavior was highly illegal because it involved destruction of
potential evidence. That means it would have to be pretty egregiously
say "child porn" and not just say soi disant 18 year olds who weren't.
Curious that the 18 as age of adulthood allows two precious years for
porn folks to say "Hot Teens" etc. and still be on the safe side.

Now the other interesting thing and I am worrying I am making it more
complicated than it should be is the hope by some prosecutors that the
US would sign treaties the US might have to at least try to obey that
would accomplish what they want without getting it passed or having
legal precedent in the US.

Note MI-6 tried this in reverse about another issue and it died a quiet
death. There is a site on the net run by a certain architect and he has
been a thorn in the side of MI-5 and MI-6 and "Gardie" (sorry can'r
remember real spelling) in Ireland(North and South). Due to the strong
First Amendment in the US it has been impossible to block publishing in
the US and on the Internet of this information which actually involved
pictures of Northern Ireland's Internal Police Folks that work in
terrorism supression. They were hoping a treaty would allow them to get
at the US publishers and that failed.

Overall my suspicion is that overall this end-run technique will fail in
general.  It is interesting because the failure of the Michael Jackson
prosecution pretty much left the Federal Prosecutors as the lone rangers
who seldom fail at these various sex crimes prosecutions. It would be
their ability to win consistently and get people declared accesories
that would change things.  I don't think that ios going to happen.

Note I won't extend this because it is already longer and more
convoluted than I intended it. I am going to kind of shut up now because
this is sort of the state of knowledge and practice as I am aware of it.
Again if someone knows about these things in other legal systems or has
any insights into the attempts to stop people using encryption I would
like to hear it.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. If anyone finds interesting cases or precedents I would like to
hear of them. All that stuff of knowing the cases that set precedent
like one knows good novels one has read or movies one has watched that
made a tatement has finally began to sink in. It took a long time and a
lot of reading but I now know why they quoted things involving
Youngstown Tool and Die cases in Constitution Rights cases.;)

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. Note I have bcc'd many recipients in case they aren't on the list
and trying to keep the email to have get moderator approval...