Date: Mon Sep  5 05:24:46 2005
From: mike.benjamin at clarinet.com.au (Michael L Benjamin)
Subject: FW: SSH Bruteforce blocking script

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael L Benjamin
Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 12:04 PM
To: 'Gerald Holl'
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] SSH Bruteforce blocking script

Thank you.

Yes, I've used a similar script in the past to block hosts from Apache
log output.
This does have it's dangers if you are dealing with worms, you might be
blocking your own people if they become infected, so an exclusion list
is something I'm looking at adding in.

Please take note of the /tmp file issue others have highlighted in the
script, and make the appropriate changes to run securely. I'm working on
the next revision of the script based on the valuable input from people
here. I'll re-post it when I think it's worthy of being looked at again.

As you've recognised, this can be applied to a lot of situations where
logfile output is in an expected format, and you want to block the most
common attacks. I'll try and make it more flexible/useful and reduce the
level of hardcoding.

Cheers, Mike.