Date: Mon Oct  3 12:49:50 2005
From: sil at infiltrated.net (J. Oquendo)
Subject: Bigger burger roll needed

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Randall M wrote:

> Virus Friendly and phased might be to young to remember the old saying "what
> you want the next generation to believe begin teaching this generation". It

That's a nicely worded brainwashing statement. How about having the next
generation believe truth not what you want them to believe. Do you by
chance work for Cisco or Microsoft "They're not really vulnerabilities
believe me..."

> is a known fact that the major cause of computer criminal acts is the result
> of careless and uneducated users. I have said it again and again, the "User"
> is the best defense any Admin can have.

How is this a known fact rather than an ASSumption. Facts speak louder
than words so rather than repeat what others have... well repeated some
nice facts pointed out would have been nice. From my inference on your
comment, that would mean every "major" malicious hack ever done was done
by someone who didn't have a clue. The user is the biggest security risk
and THAT is a known and published fact, not vice versa.

> If she or he understands the dangers they will not click the tempting
> link or download the pretty card. And if  they take what they have
> learned home with them they diminish the Botnet army. As far as "16 year
> olds can pass the CISSP exam" statement, that's a dam educated user.

Could they diminish any botnet army? I'm thinking in tunes of 16 year old
with hormones out of control, acting up out of rebellion and I'm wondering
if the mental capacity is fully there to not spread malice if they had the
mental capacity to cause malice electronically.

I picture some frustrated 16 year old using a botnet to take out his
school because someone bullied him, Because his little girlfriend left him
so he decides to socially engineer some crap on his machine. I'm picturing
a 16 year old with misguided "morals" "nuking" a country's infrastructure
because his brain is filled with crapaganda.

As for the "dam educated user" statement, not to discount the studies
involved and passions possessed by those with certs, but quite frankly
those (certs) mean little to me considering I've seen those with
signatures the size of San Francisco have a clue the size of a flea. I
agree and disagree. On a side note I'm wondering what the ISC will
begin doing in about a decade considering the statistics nowadays:
"Growing at a rate of about 900 inmates each week between mid-2003 and
mid-2004, the nation's prisons and jails held 2.1 million people, or one
in every 138 U.S. residents" [http://tinyurl.com/dwplj] Perhaps abolish
their "guidelines".

J. Oquendo
GPG Key ID 0x97B43D89
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x97B43D89

"Every man builds his world in his own image. He has the
power to choose, but no power to escape the necessity of
choice." -- Ayn Rand