Date: Thu Dec 29 00:31:05 2005
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: Spy Agency Mined Vast Data Trove

Uh let's see I don't know if this is thje place to discuss this. There
has been enouigh evidence of governmental misbehavior in the past with
various programs that I wouldn't trust the powers that be to always be
benevolent to go away if nothing bad is happening.  There is Steve Kurtz
the artists who got into trouble for growing a microrganism commonly
gown in high school classes. If one reads the actual transcripts of
Federal Prosecutions one finds that often they do go through someone's
life and if they don't find the real big thing they wanted, they will
try to find some very small thing, something akin to ignoring something
on a click license or a shrink license. They threaten the defendents a
lot and often they will get some silly conviction which to them is minor
to the person who is convicted and has a messed up life is a lot. A lot
of the motivating factors here, one is that such prosecutions are
expensive and there is the desire not to go away empty handed.  Now as
of late they have gotten into so much troubl;e with this they have been
losing outright in US Federal Court which usually doesn't happen. In
most cases it has involved the increased descretion given to various
authorities by the current atmosphere of security is so important that
if the Bill of Rights is bent or ignored a bit then it's OK.

I am not saying any of this(data mining and sorting thru lots of stuff
trying to find scary keywords)  should never ever happen but just it is
sort of naive to assume that if one has nothing to hide and has done
nothing wrong that one has nothing to fear. It is easy to go through
someone's life and find things that while not illegal are embarassing
and use this to threaten them for a variety of purposes.  The story of J
Edgar Hoover trying to find something to embarass or threaten Martin
Luther King is well known. Others are known also and then is somewhat of
a history of abuse of power so I hold the "nothing to hide/nothing to
fear" concept to be naive. Another point is that if has ever had friends
who say grew certain vegetables or did other such questionable things
one obviously knows they don't refer to any of the things they are doing
by "cleartext names" but use innocent sounding words and phrases, Now
one curious thing I heard from a friend who is an Arabic translator is
that some people hope that occassional in Arabic or some other native
language people will mention something out in the open.

I did have a technical thought or question. Datamining can be used for
less nefarious purposes and I wonder if anyone knows any good source
texts if one were teaching a course in the area. Those I read are
woefully inadequate and I was wonde4ring if this is because those that
have useful techniques aren't into much disclosure much less full
disclosure. So if anyone know of any tests or sources for connections
databases it would be nice to here of them. I was thinking of
applications in art, science and medicine, like looking through OTC
purchases to see if there has been a serious  uptick in consumption of
products that indicate a possible diesese outbreak. I know there was a
plan to track anti-diarrhea medications because many seriousl diseases
manifest themselves with that symptom and the condition in itself can be
dangerous.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

P.S. It was funny that the head of the TIA project at DARPA at one point
was someone from the Nixon Admin not necessarily concerned with people's
privacy or their rights. I suspect it is the overstepping of  boundaries
by that adninistration that provides the most compelling evidence that
maybe we want to be careful giving people too much power to look at our
various dealings,