Date: Fri Jan 20 03:26:06 2006
From: williamderieux at gmail.com (William DeRieux)
Subject: FW: Re: Re: PC Firewall Choices (an alternative
	choice)

From: William DeRieux [mailto:WilliamDeRieux@...il.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 10:24 PM
To: 'Nancy Kramer'
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] Re: Re: PC Firewall Choices (an alternative
choice)

You could try, 8signs firewall (it is designed with servers in mind, but
works for home desktops just as well) 8Sings firewall, not free though, has
a wizard that walks you through creating a ruleset Asking you what servies
you want to run, webserver, emailserver, etc, etc, even things that aren't
servers. Plus it is really easy to use, if you inititally tell it to block
all traffic, unless there is a rule for that particular traffic, no packets
or data That don?t have a corresponding rule will not be able to get
throught; You can right-click on that traffic in the programs log window and
tell it To make a ruleset for the specific traffic, and choose to block or
accepts incoming/outgoing connections or both (as simple as point & click),
I havent had any trouble with it, and have been running it for about half of
a year.

It has TCP, UDP, ICMP, ARP, RARP, & Mac Address Rules - with different
configuration for each network adapter, both ethernet & wireless. It also
has a configuration wizard for each adapter. And has the following other
options *SYN Flood Protection *Port Scan Protection *and Automatic & Manual
Ban List (for flooding, port scanning, etc) It even has a built-in learning
mode

You can look them up here:  http://www.consealfirewall.com/

William (*note I am not trying to ADVERTISE THIS PRODUCT, I AM just trying
to help give someone an alternative, they may not have known about*) FC,
ROCKS!