Date: Tue Jan 31 00:50:54 2006
From: dan-fd at f-box.org (Dan B UK)
Subject: ashnews Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability

Hi zeus,

Did you even look at the source code for this script. If you had then
you would see that in the case of register_global's being turned on
there is a bigger issue to worry about; Remote/Local File Inclusion -
Server side.

I have just managed to examine the source code on a few servers in under
10 minutes; from start to finish.

(I know that cookie stealing is an issue; and evil JavaScript can do a
lot. But if you can alter the server files then there is an even greater
issue!)

Due to the nature of the issue I am not disclosing the detail of it
until the writer of the software has updated it; maybe you could have
waited??

A vulnerability that allows privileges of the apache user within the
limitations of how much PHP has been locked down.

Cheers,
Dan.