Date: Fri Mar 17 01:24:04 2006
From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: What about subscriber only?

Stefan Triller wrote:

> my killfile is getting bigger and bigger, ...

1.  So you are killfiling subscribed list members?  That's soemwhat
idiotic -- just because you don't recall seeing posts from those
addresses before does not mean they are not legitimately subscribed and
non-abusive list-members...  (Also, see 3.)

> ... because of the spam on this
> list.   ...

2.  It's not "spam" (unsolicited bulk/commercial Email) but rather a
crude and ineffective DoS against the list.  (Also, see 3.)

3.  Or maybe it's an even cruder troll to locate total morons on the
list who have no idea how things really work.  If it is such, it's
starting to work, as evidenced by your post...

> ...  What about closing this list for email adresses which aren't
> subscribed to it?  ...

4.  That _is_ how this list works...  (Also, see 3.)

> ...  This would minimize the spam.

5.  You've never heard of "spoofing" have you?  (Also, see 3.)

6.  Nor have you any understanding of how trivially such is done in
SMTP...  (Also, see 3.)

Given your abject lack of grip on any of the foregoing, informed
members of this list are wondering if a less technically inclined list
might not be better siuited to your abilities...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald