Date: Sat Jun  3 05:03:07 2006
From: stevex11 at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: scanning

Nightfall Nightfall wrote:

> Is it illegal if I perform a vulnerability scan on a site without
> permission from the owner? How about a simple port scan? thanks..

For research probably no. A lot of this stuff hangs on intent. When we
ground away on computer crime legislation we tried to keep innocent acts
from being criminalized. So in general things done out of curiosity are
pretty safe. However be squeaky clean. If your house/apartment and disk
drive are littered with "destroy the established powers" literature then
you are close to the ham sandwhich that can get indicted. If it is funn
of "gee whiz this tech stuff is neat and let's go and explore" then you
look like a ham sandwhich and more like a chiccken salad sandwhich or
better yet a tofu surprise sandwhich which are much hader to indict..
This is all said in kind of analogical fun jest but as they say many a
true word is said in jest.

Havbe Fun,
Sends Steve