Date: Mon Jul 10 12:42:46 2006
From: nfigaro at sdv.fr (nicolas figaro)
Subject: Postfix configuration

Bartlomiej Szymanski a ?crit :
> Hello,

Hi
> I have a problem with message delivery via Postfix. I build a network,
> using VMware, consisting of three standalone FreeBSD machines.
> I named them: FREEBSD1, FREEBSD2 and FREEBSD3.

do you know postfix has also a very good mailing list ?
> On each of the machine I installed Postfix 2.2 and configured it.
>
> Now I have a problem: when I am sending message from FREEBSD1 using
> Postfix on FREEBSD2, I am getting the following error:
>
> Jul  5 16:38:31 FREEBSD2 postfix/smtp[1059]: 7C1FEB0B2:
> to=<bartek@...EBSD1.FREEBSD2>, orig_to=<bartek@...EBSD1>, relay=none,
> delay=1, status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service
> error for name=FREEBSD1.FREEBSD2 type=A: Host not found)
>
> I know, that some settings in main.cf are wrong, but I cannot find out.
> I added the names and IPs to /etc/hosts. I can ping FREEBSD1 and so on.
> In my opinion smth. wrong with relaying and domains/hostnames.
postfix tries to resolve FREEBSD1.FREEBSD2 using dns resolution. I don't
know if you can tell postfix to use /etc/hosts.
try to add the name of your machines to the DNS, or use FQDN (like
freebsd1.mynetwork.net).

with short hostnames (like freebsd1), postfix tries to add the hostname
of the server it's running on
to the mail extension.

postfix won't give you good results unless you have a dns server up and
running so you don't see messages like the one above
anymore.
> If you have any ide just email me.

hope this'll help

N F