Date: Mon Jul 10 16:34:26 2006
From: erezmetula at 2bsecure.co.il (Erez Metula)
Subject: MIMESweeper For Web 5.X Cross Site Scripting

Hi Brian,
Please consider those attack scenarios:

1. Stealing user cookie. Since it requires that the client should
already have such a cookie, it requires that the client visit the banned
site first. This situation is minimized to the time window in which the
user is logged in and the site got banned. Can happen in 2 situations:
	1. The product blacklist file is updated (automatically, on a
daily 	basis) with the added blacklisted site.
	2. The administrator adds the specific site to the blacklist
file.
The attacker will make the product / administrator believe that a site
should be blacklisted - even a short period is enough, to launch the
XSS.

2. Phising/Defacement (using HTML Injection). In this scenario, the
attacker is actually using the fact that some site is banned, and
replace the page content with a forged page.
Example:
http://BannedSite.com/<HTML>forged_page_content_in_here</HTML>

The client will think that he is in the requested site (the browser will
also indicate that),but in fact he will see the forged content - sounds
to me like defacement and/or phishing.
Think about a banned bank web site, in which the attacker will replace
the login page and send the credentials to him.

There are more scenarios, but I think that this is bad enough.
Best regards,
Erez.

Erez Metula, CISSP
Application Security Department Manager