Date: Tue Jul 11 19:36:55 2006
From: ACastigliola at unumprovident.com (Castigliola, Angelo)
Subject: 70 million computers are using Windows
	98rightnow

This thread is the Windows 3.1/95 EOL discussion all over again. Nothing
happened then and I seriously doubt anything will happen now. I agree
with the points below. There are no known remote exploits for the
Windows 98 operating system. I Could not tell you how many exploits are
out there for Internet Explorer or Outlook\Express that will allow
someone to compromise Windows 98 but I guess very few.

The reason I decided to respond to this thread is to point out that I
think running Internet Explorer or Outlook\Express as a
non-administrator (
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dncode/
html/secure11152004.asp ) is a better solution then the open source
solutions that are notorious for features not working with Microsoft
rich websites (if the website\application loads at all). Seems like the
major computer nerds always recommend firefox for windows however if you
use a lot of .NET web applications then firefox is a very poor solution.

Angelo Castigliola III
Enterprise Security Architecture
UnumProvident

The posts and threads in this email do not reflect the opinions of nor
are endorsed by UnumProvident, Inc., nor any of its employees.