Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:53:26 -0400
From: <Glenn.Everhart@...se.com>
To: <crispin@...ell.com>, <perrin@...theon.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	pdp.gnucitizen@...glemail.com, ge@...uxbox.org, Casper.Dik@....COM
Subject: Re: 0day: PDF pwns Windows

Minor point:

No need to limit such accumulations to nation-states though. People interested
in fiddling with other peoples' computers have come up with attacks that don't
get instantly published at least since the 1970s, and have had more-or-less private
channels to communicate them. The motives these days, if you believe the press,
may be more around money than simple mischief, but the practice of not disclosing
bugs and exploits to the world has been with us a long time. Such exploits are 0day
exploits until someone gets wind of them who will do something to defend against
them. This can be a vendor, someone who publishes workarounds for admins, or whatnot,
the key point being that the "0day" issue is one that pretty much all systems of
the target type will be vulnerable to.

Once an exploit is widely used, it is likely to be noticed and cease to be effective
everywhere too. The recent stories about targetted attacks are I expect partly
devised to keep exploits working longer by avoiding this.

BTW the older use for "0day" to refer to warez that were newly cracked is similar in
that again the term refers to the fact that the vendor has not yet had time to do anything
to react to the crack or disallow use of the software.

Glenn Everhart