Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:27:06 -0500 (EST)
From: Ryan Sears <rdsears@....edu>
To: dan j rosenberg <dan.j.rosenberg@...il.com>
Cc: Ariel Biener <ariel@...t.tau.ac.il>, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	leandro lista <leandro_lista@...tari.com.br>,
	firebits@...ktrack.com.br, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Linux kernel exploit

Hey Dan,

Freaking THANK YOU first and foremost. I've been waiting for someone to say that for days now, and was just about to myself.

Just because everyone and their brother want's to show off that they can compile & run some software (herp a derp, good job) DOESN'T mean they should immediately post it here. I tested it against an OLDER KERNEL on purpose because I actually read the headers and the exploit worked as expected. I knew that this was responsibly disclosed, so it was already patched on any system that I updated. If you don't have the proper symbols, then the exploit doesn't have the proper offsets, and the exploit will fail. Plain and simple. *THEN* there's people who don't even bother to read that "Red Hat does not support Econet by default". DOES NOT. As in the exploit WON'T WORK!

It's pathetic that the original exploit dev has to waste his time saying the same thing 5 times.

</rant>

Ryan Sears