Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 07:57:17 -0600
From: Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison@...uia.com>
To: InterN0T Advisories <advisories@...ern0t.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Security-news] SA-CONTRIB-2012-040 -
 CKEditor and FCKeditor - multiple XSS, arbitrary code execution

Hello MaXe,

Thanks for the feedback.

Our security advisories are meant to be a little opaque and do not
include a POC, so I can understand how these two issues could be
confusing: they both include XSS in something named (F)CKEditor.

However this issue is quite different from the one you identified.

Your advisory was about Javascript execution in html attributes inside
the Javascript/CKEditor tool itself. This vulnerability is about a
feature of the Drupal module written in PHP which responds to Ajax
requests and sends back text filtered using one of Drupal's Input
Formats.

Users of Drupal who upgraded (F)CKEditor Javascript previously to
address the issue you identified in that code need to update their
Drupal module as well to fix the issue described in the advisory
SA-CONTRIB-2012-040.

Regards,
Greg

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM, InterN0T Advisories
<advisories@...ern0t.net> wrote:
> FYI, this bug was recently fixed by the CKEditor Developers, as the bug
> itself was in the CKEditor module, not Drupal. (They just use it like
> everyone else.)
>
> Cartoon of the day: http://i.imgur.com/IbRbx.jpg

> http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2012/Jan/279
> http://forum.intern0t.org/intern0t-advisories/4102-drupal-ckeditor-3-0-3-6-2-persistent-eventhandler-cross-site-scripting.html
> http://i.imgur.com/IbRbx.jpg
>

> Best regards,
> MaXe
>
> PS: Sorry for the previous HTML e-mail.
>
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:03:36 +0000 (UTC), security-news@...pal.org wrote:
>> * Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-040
>>   * Project: CKEditor [1], FCKeditor [2] - WYSIWYG HTML editor
> (third-party
>>     module)
>>   * Version: 6.x, 7.x
>>   * Date: 2012-March-14
>>   * Security risk: Highly critical [3]
>>   * Exploitable from: Remote
>>   * Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting, Cross Site Request Forgery,
>>   Arbitrary
>>     PHP code execution
>>
>> -------- DESCRIPTION
>>
>> CKEditor and its predecessor FCKeditor allow Drupal to replace textarea
>> fields with the (F)CKEditor - a visual HTML WYSIWYG editor.
>>
>> The modules have an AJAX callback that filters text to prevent Cross
> site
>> scripting attacks on content edits. This AJAX callback function contains
>> number of bugs which allow attackers to chose which filter to execute on
>> chosen text or bypass the filter entirely.
>>
>> The vulnerability can be used to conduct Cross site scripting (XSS)
> attacks
>> on privileged users. Attackers can also execute arbitrary PHP code if
> the
>> core PHP module is enabled. This can happen either directly or by
> enticing
>> privileged user to visit a page.
>>
>> Direct execution of PHP code requires that the attacker has the
> following
>> privileges:
>>
>> "access fckeditor" for FCKeditor 6.x
>> "access ckeditor" for CKEditor 6.x
>>
>> No additional permissions are required to directly exploit the PHP code
>> execution flaw on CKEditor 7.x.
>>
>> -------- VERSIONS AFFECTED
>>
>>   * FCKeditor 6.x-2.x versions prior to 6.x-2.3.
>>   * CKEditor 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.9.
>>   * CKEditor 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.7.
>>
>> Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed CKEditor
> -
>> WYSIWYG HTML editor [4] module, there is nothing you need to do.
>>
>> -------- SOLUTION
>>
>> Install the latest version:
>>
>>   * If you use the FCKeditor module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to FCKeditor
>>     6.x-2.3 [5].
>>   * If you use the CKEditor module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to CKEditor
>>   6.x-1.9
>>     [6].
> [...]

Director Security Services | +1-720-310-5623
Skype: greg.knaddison | http://twitter.com/greggleshttp://acquia.com