Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 17:53:01 -0400
From: InterN0T Advisories <advisories@...ern0t.net>
To: Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison@...uia.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Security-news] SA-CONTRIB-2012-040 -
 CKEditor and FCKeditor - multiple XSS, arbitrary code execution

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your response.

After re-reading the advisory a couple of times, and after a few
communication attempts from Ustima who seems to have personal issues with
me, I realized that I was wrong, and that it wasn't the same bug that I
made an advisory for.

I am glad however, that you pointed out the difference, and also how your
advisories are designed (e.g., without PoC's limiting both attacks but also
free knowledge. Of course I could just research this bug discovered by you
or your team and release a working exploit), but the confusing part is also
the time-frame, as the CKEditor developers has recently fixed the bug I
discovered.

Thanks again for clarifying the difference, but also responding to this
public mailing list.

Best regards,
MaXe

http://forum.intern0t.org/intern0t-advisories/4102-drupal-ckeditor-3-0-3-6-2-persistent-eventhandler-cross-site-scripting.html
>> http://i.imgur.com/IbRbx.jpg
>>

>> Best regards,
>> MaXe
>>
>> PS: Sorry for the previous HTML e-mail.
>>
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:03:36 +0000 (UTC), security-news@...pal.org
wrote:
>>> * Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-040
>>>   * Project: CKEditor [1], FCKeditor [2] - WYSIWYG HTML editor
>> (third-party
>>>     module)
>>>   * Version: 6.x, 7.x
>>>   * Date: 2012-March-14
>>>   * Security risk: Highly critical [3]
>>>   * Exploitable from: Remote
>>>   * Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting, Cross Site Request Forgery,
>>>   Arbitrary
>>>     PHP code execution
>>>
>>> -------- DESCRIPTION
>>>
>>> CKEditor and its predecessor FCKeditor allow Drupal to replace
textarea
>>> fields with the (F)CKEditor - a visual HTML WYSIWYG editor.
>>>
>>> The modules have an AJAX callback that filters text to prevent Cross
>> site
>>> scripting attacks on content edits. This AJAX callback function
contains
>>> number of bugs which allow attackers to chose which filter to execute
on
>>> chosen text or bypass the filter entirely.
>>>
>>> The vulnerability can be used to conduct Cross site scripting (XSS)
>> attacks
>>> on privileged users. Attackers can also execute arbitrary PHP code if
>> the
>>> core PHP module is enabled. This can happen either directly or by
>> enticing
>>> privileged user to visit a page.
>>>
>>> Direct execution of PHP code requires that the attacker has the
>> following
>>> privileges:
>>>
>>> "access fckeditor" for FCKeditor 6.x
>>> "access ckeditor" for CKEditor 6.x
>>>
>>> No additional permissions are required to directly exploit the PHP
code
>>> execution flaw on CKEditor 7.x.
>>>
>>> -------- VERSIONS AFFECTED
>>>
>>>   * FCKeditor 6.x-2.x versions prior to 6.x-2.3.
>>>   * CKEditor 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.9.
>>>   * CKEditor 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.7.
>>>
>>> Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed
CKEditor