Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 17:48:32 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: Peter Dawson <slash.pd@...il.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: How much time is appropriate for fixing a bug?

I already covered that – if they don't fix it, the publish it.   Also, if a vendor has a "venerability" to the community, then they would obviously fix it.

There's no "responsibility" to disclose anything.   FD doesn't exist to satisfy some requirement for researchers to publish vulnerability – it exists so that people can market themselves.   The "we must disclose this so that people will know and they can protect themselves" is simply a justification for the aforementioned.    These people don't give a fat fuck about the industry or protecting other people.   If they did, they would just post "hey, there's a vuln in this product, email me and I'll tell you about it."  When no-one emails them (because this limited audience doesn't care) they don't get their "deserved cred" and post it.

Nobody cares, and nobody remembers…  his FD will simply be another tit in the peep show.  People like 0DayInit and Litchfield did it the SMART way.  They have a client base who have purchased a product to protect them from these vulnerabilities.  People who purchase the product are protected in the meantime, as the vuln is actually addressed in the product.  It actually works in their favor of the vendor to take longer as it makes the product more valuable.

Vendors want "responsible disclosure" so they can assign priority to plan release cadence.  Disclosures want recognition, or payment, or both.   Each will do what is in their own best interest.  But let's not pretend it is anything other than what it is.