Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 23:52:36 +0200
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: <submissions@...ketstormsecurity.org>, <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: XSS vulnerability in swfupload in WordPress

Hello list!

I will draw your attention to XSS vulnerability in swfupload in WordPress.

In April there was announced Cross-Site Scripting vulnerability in
swfupload.swf in WordPress (CVE-2012-3414). It was fixed in WordPress 3.3.2.
At that time there was no detailed information about it.

Last week I've noticed, that people begun disclosing this XSS hole in
swfupload.swf in other web applications (as in one WP plugin, where I found
it). So the details of this hole was already disclosed, which leaded to new
advisories with XSS in this flash file in other webapps.

After that I've made research and here is information about different
versions of this swf-file (with different names) and all versions of
WordPress, which contain any of these swf-files. I.e. not one swf (mentioned
by Neal Poole), but two swf's with different names have this XSS.

This hole was found by Neal Poole and Nathan Partlan. And at 17.05.2012 Neal
have disclosed it at his site
(https://nealpoole.com/blog/2012/05/xss-and-csrf-via-swf-applets-swfupload-plupload/).
Details about all affected versions of WordPress and versions of swf-file
are provided bellow.

-------------------------
Affected products:
-------------------------

Vulnerable are versions WordPress 2.5 - 3.3.1.

File swfupload.swf is bundled with WordPress 2.7 - 3.3.1.

File swfupload_f9.swf is bundled with WordPress 2.5 - 2.7.1.

In versions WP 2.7 - 2.7.1 both flash-files are contained.

----------
Details:
----------

XSS (WASC-08):

http://site/wp-includes/js/swfupload/swfupload.swf?movieName=%22]);}catch(e){}if(!self.a)self.a=!alert(document.cookie);//

WordPress 2.7-3.3.1.

http://site/wp-includes/js/swfupload/swfupload_f9.swf?movieName=%22]);}catch(e){}if(!self.a)self.a=!alert(document.cookie);//

WordPress 2.5-2.7.1.

At 20.04.2012 this vulnerability was fixed in WordPress 3.3.2. The
developers of WordPress released new version of flash file, which could be
used by all web developers, which were using swfupload.

Swfupload is used in WordPress, plugins for WP and in other web
applications. There are many web applications with it, not as many as those
which are using JW Player (http://securityvulns.com/docs28176.html) and JW
Player Pro (http://securityvulns.com/docs28483.html) (vulnerabilities in
them I've disclosed earlier), but still a lot of. And in the next letter
I'll present a set of such web applications.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua