Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 10:52:05 -0600
From: silence_is_best@...hmail.com
To: "Full Disclosure" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Cc: "Full Disclosure" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Mavericks...less then a bargin?

Agreed the keychain is spooky...saving grace is that it's not required
for functionality, whereas syncing contacts/calendar it's required.

On Monday, October 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM, "Jeffrey Walton"  wrote:> A
warning (disclosure) to you Apple people....
Perhaps even better for the government spooks is the keychain:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/mobile-security/23030/apple-gets-pat-back-mavericks-icloud-keychain.
As Gutmann said, if it was MS, then headlines would be screaming
"Microsoft steals user's passwords".

> How we use your personal information
> ..
> How we use your personal information
It gets even better -  you did not even touch upon misuse. For those
who have not read Apple obscene Terms of Service, here's from a paper
decrying use of cloud services:

A layman’s analysis of License Agreements and Terms and Conditions
reveals how little security is afforded to your documents in cloud
storage and backup to the cloud. For those who don’t read them, one
popular platform has 142 separate documents covering Terms of
Conditions for its cloud alone.[1]  The documents discuss your rights
if the company (1) gives away your data, (2) shares you data with
partners, (3) looses your data, (4) provides your data to authorities
(sometimes without an order or warrant), (5) does not provide
reasonable skill or care, (6) commits willful misconduct or fraud, and
(7) acts with negligence or gross negligence. “Your rights” is
misleading since it is consent, and the document effectively states
you indemnify the company: “You agree to defend, indemnify and hold
[company], its affiliates, subsidiaries, directors, officers,
employees, agents, partners, contractors, and licensors harmless from
any claim or demand, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, made by a
third party.” [2]

[1] iCloud Terms and Conditions,
https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/ww/
[2] iCLOUD TERMS AND CONDITIONS,
https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/icloud/en/terms.html
On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 8:09 AM,   wrote:
> A warning (disclosure) to you Apple people....if you're planning to
sync
> your shiny iDevice with Mavericks, you will be FORCED to use iCloud
(syncing
> from your iDevice to your iPuter is now gone).  I suspect this is
one of the
> reasons why Mavericks was a "free" upgrade.  Apple probably figured
the $40
> they'd get from the sale of the OS is less then when they'd get with
have
> your calendar and your contacts within easy reach.  Per their
policy:

> What personal information we collect
>
> When you create an Apple ID, register your products, apply for
commercial
> credit, purchase a product, download a software update, register for
a class
> at an Apple Retail Store, or participate in an online survey, we may
collect
> a variety of information, including your name, mailing address,
phone
> number, email address, contact preferences, and credit card
information.

> When you share your content with family and friends using Apple
products,
> send gift certificates and products, or invite others to join you on
Apple
> forums, Apple may collect the information you provide about those
people
> such as name, mailing address, email address, and phone number.
>
> How we use your personal information
>
> The personal information we collect allows us to keep you posted on
Apple’s
> latest product announcements, software updates, and upcoming events.
It also
> helps us to improve our services, content, and advertising.
>
> Nice not to have choices ;)
Content of type "text/html" skipped