Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 22:07:09 +0100
From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
To: "Mario Vilas" <mvilas@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq <bugtraq@...urityfocus.com>
Subject: Re: Defense in depth -- the Microsoft way (part
	13): surprising and inconsistent behaviour, sloppy coding,
	sloppy QA, sloppy documentation

"Mario Vilas" <mvilas@...il.com> wrote:

> This may be a silly question, so I apologize in advance, but that would
> exactly be the advantage here? Using a NULL pointer is in most (if not all)
> those cases undocumented behavior to begin with. Unless I'm missing
> something, the problem is not so much with Win32 as it is with the C
> language in general...

For many of the Win32 functions I referenced here the behaviour of a NULL
pointer is but documented:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms647492.aspx>

| If lpString is NULL, the function returns 0.

JFTR: I suspect that this is the reason why most of the other functions
      treat a NULL pointer as an empty string.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms647487.aspx>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms647490.aspx>
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms647491.aspx>

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682425.aspx>

| BOOL WINAPI CreateProcess(
|   _In_opt_     LPCTSTR lpApplicationName,
|   _Inout_opt_  LPTSTR lpCommandLine,

BOTH string arguments may be NULL!
Idem for the other CreateProcess*() functions.

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms645505.aspx>

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa364934.aspx>

| To determine the required buffer size, set this parameter to NULL and the
| nBufferLength parameter to 0.

Most of the Get*() functions return the required buffer size when the size
argument is 0 (or to small), but only
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms724301.aspx> explicitly says:

| If lpBuffer is NULL, this parameter must be zero.

and checks this contraint properly.

The problem is not the C language!
The problem is the inconsistent (and sloppy) implemenation of similar
functions of the Win32 API and their inconsistent and sloppy documentation.

regards
Stefan Kanthak