Date:	Mon, 13 Feb 2012 19:25:08 -0500
From:	Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@...il.com>
To:	"Ted Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>
Cc:	"Maar, Roberto" <roberto.maar@...fujitsu.com>,
	"linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org" <linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] (was "Re: Restoring filenames from partly damaged ext4-filesystem")

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM, Ted Ts'o <tytso@....edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 11:00:21AM +0100, Maar, Roberto wrote:
>> Everyone has a good backup, and no one destroy its files and file systems.
>
> If only that were true.  :-)
>
> Of course the developers who can do a good job writing recovery
> programs are smart enough to do regular backups.  This is why tools
> like extundelete and ext4magic generally don't get a lot of volunteers
> to help with documentation and development.
>
> But you'd be amazed how many people contact me, or the ext4 list, or
> the ext3-users list, asking for help, and who obviously had _not_ been
> doing regular backups.  :-(
>

>> One of the problems of ext4magic, of course, no English documentation.
>> But at the moment is the one man show, and my English is a disaster.
>> The world would laugh at it. I need some help for translation.
>> Proofread, for a native speaker with technical understanding a few minutes work,
>> for me ...
>> We'll see, I try
>
> Well, I can certainly call for help, and see if there are folks who
> would be interested in helping you with the translation and
> creating/improving the English documentation
>
> And now that I know about it, I'll certainly be pointing people at it.
>
> Thanks for creating it!
>
>                                                - Ted

I took a minute and tried to put together a opensuse package for
ext4magic in my home directory for testing.

https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=ext4magic&project=home%3Agregfreemyer%3ATools-for-forensic-boot-cd

I haven't tried to patch the source, but at present it has some
compile errors that keep OBS from publishing it even from a home
directory.

====
I: Program returns random data in a function
E: ext4magic no-return-in-nonvoid-function hard_link_stack.c:87
E: ext4magic no-return-in-nonvoid-function imap_search.c:362
E: ext4magic no-return-in-nonvoid-function magic_block_scan.c:203, 1028, 249

I: A function uses a 'return;' statement, but has actually a value
   to return, like an integer ('return 42;') or similar.
W: ext4magic voidreturn ext4magic.c:888

I: Program is using implicit definitions of functions getting
   pointers or implemented by macros. These functions need to use their
   correct prototypes to allow correct argument passing on e.g. x86_64 .
     - Implicit memory/string functions need #include <string.h>.
     - Implicit *printf functions need #include <stdio.h>.
     - Implicit *printf functions need #include <stdio.h>.
     - Implicit *read* functions need #include <unistd.h>.
     - Implicit *recv* functions need #include <sys/socket.h>.
W: ext4magic implicit-pointer-decl journal.c:754

=====

I think just the E: errors are mandatory to fix for OBS to publish the
package, but I'm not sure about that.

Roberto, if you think you'll come out with a cleaner build in the next
couple weeks, I won't bother to patch up those errors.

Thanks
Greg