Date:	Wed, 16 Apr 2014 13:21:34 +0530
From:	Amit Sahrawat <amit.sahrawat83@...il.com>
To:	"Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
	Amit Sahrawat <amit.sahrawat83@...il.com>,
	Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>, darrick.wong@...cle.com,
	linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org, linux-ext4@...r.kernel.org,
	LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
	Namjae Jeon <linkinjeon@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Ext4: deadlock occurs when running fsstress and ENOSPC errors are seen.

Sorry Ted, if it caused the confusion.

There were actually 2 parts to the problem, the logs in the first mail
were from the original situation – where in there were many block
groups and error prints also showed that.

EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:742: group 1493, 0
clusters in bitmap, 58339 in gd
EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:742: group 1000, 0
clusters in bitmap, 3 in gd
EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_mb_generate_buddy:742: group 1425, 0
clusters in bitmap, 1 in gd
JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda1, blocknr = 0). There's
a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = sda1, blocknr = 0). There's
a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.

1)	Original case – when the disk got corrupted and we only had the
logs and the hung task messages. But not the HDD on which issue was
observed.
2)	In order to reproduce the problem as was coming through the logs
(which highlighted the problem in the bitmap corruption). To minimize
the environment and make a proper case, we created a smaller partition
size and with only 2 groups. And intentionally corrupted the group 1
(our intention was just to replicate the error scenario).
3)	After corruption we used ‘fsstress’  - we got the similar problem
as was coming the original logs. – We shared our analysis after this
point for looping in the writepages part the free blocks mismatch.
4)	We came across ‘Darrick’ patches(in which it also mentioned about
how to corrupt to reproduce the problem) and applied on our
environment. It solved the initial problem about the looping in
writepages, but now we got hangs at other places.

Using ‘tune2fs’ is not a viable solution in our case, we can only
provide the solution via. the kernel changes. So, we made the changes
as shared earlier.

So the question isn't how the file system got corrupted, but that
you'd prefer that the system recovers without hanging after this
corruption.
>> Yes,  our priority is to keep the system running.

Again, Sorry for the confusion. But the intention was just to show the
original problem and what we did in order to replicate the problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Sahrawat