Date:	Mon, 28 Jan 2008 06:53:15 -0500
From:	Mike Frysinger <vapier@...too.org>
To:	ltp-list@...ts.sourceforge.net, risrajak@...ibm.com
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [LTP] [TEST] : LTP Build failure on 2.6.24 kernel

On Monday 28 January 2008, Rishikesh K. Rajak wrote:
> Here i am getting failure on the x86_64 machine with new kernel.
>
> Here is the uname for that machine:
>
> rishi@:~/ltp-full-20071231# uname -a
> Linux rishi.in.ibm.com 2.6.24 #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 28 06:47:28 UTC
> 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

i'm guessing you're using ubuntu and thus dash is your /bin/sh ... shouldnt be
a 2.6.24 issue

> make[4]: Entering directory
> `/root/ltp-full-20071231/testcases/network/tcp_cmds/ftp'
> ../../generate.sh
> ../../generate.sh: 60: arith: syntax error: "cnt=cnt-1"

sadly, this is becoming a FAQ.  ubuntu ships a broken /bin/sh (dash) and thus
some LTP scripts fall apart.  i would prefer to not change the scripts as the
message is simple in LTP: fix your shell, dont add hacks to LTP.  otherwise
we slowly back ourselves into this corner with the shell scripts where we try
to support every craptastic shell out there and we're afraid to make any
changes because we dont know what crappy shell is going to drop a brick.  LTP
scripts are written to be POSIX complaint and only POSIX complaint shells
should be provided by /bin/sh.
-mike

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (828 bytes)