Date:	Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:44:10 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	Zan Lynx <zlynx@....org>
Cc:	Calvin Walton <calvin.walton@...il.com>,
Subject: Re: Problem with ata layer in 2.6.24

On Monday 28 January 2008, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Monday 28 January 2008, Zan Lynx wrote:

>>> You should probably give the nouveau[1] driver a try, if only for
>>> testing purposes; if you are running an NV4x (G6x or G7x) card in
>>> particular, it works a lot better than the nv driver for 2d support.
>>>
>>> 1. http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/InstallNouveau
>>
>>But nouveau is much less stable than nv.  For testing purposes, go with
>>stable.
>
>I believe at this point, its moot.  I captured quite a few instances of that
>error message while rebooting the last time, all of which occurred long
>before I logged in and did a startx (I boot to runlevel 3 here), so the
>kernel was NOT tainted at that point.  That dmesg has been posted and some
>questions asked.
>
>As this has gone on for a while, it seems to me that with 14,800 google hits
>on this problem, Linus should call a halt until this is found and fixed.
> But I'm not Linus.  I'm also locking up for 30 at a time, & probably ready
> for reboot #7 today.
>
>>I'm not sure why it won't run his screen though.  I can use nv to run a
>>1920x1200 laptop LCD.  It *is* dog slow (although nouveau was not any
>>better with a NV17 / 440-Go -- render support for AA fonts seems to be
>>missing), but it does work.

I've been trying to run a long selftest on that drive, but the constant
reboots are fscking that up.  I have attached the last smartctl -a output,
indicating that the test was aborted probably from all the resets that are
being issued, the last one froze me for around 5 minutes but I haven't
rebooted yet.  Its attached.  Can anyone see if there is actually anything
wrong with the drive?  If a boot will last long enough for the -t long to
complete, then it passes with no errors, but this was interrupted now for the
3rd time.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

View attachment "smart.log" of type "text/x-log" (9051 bytes)