Date:	Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:34:27 -0500
From:	Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@...il.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.29-rc3

On Wednesday 28 January 2009, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>It's out there, and while it's a bit larger than I'd wish for, that size

Unforch, its not ready for prime time here.

1. In my buildit script, I copy the .config(s) from the defined $oldsrc tree
to a safe place.  This includes the 'makeit' script.
2. I move the $src tree out of the way
3. Unpack new $src tree.
4. rename $src tree to $newversion, rename the $src.old back to $src
5. cd to $newversion
6. Copy all the .configs saved previously to this tree
7. apply the patch(plural if required)
8. make oldconfig
9. make xconfig (in case I want to change something)
exit

Then I cd to the new tree, and edit 'makeit' to fix its $VER, then
#> time ./makeit
which does everything but edit grub.conf for me.

It included all the reiserfs stuff I don't use, and pitched a fit over the
includes
It skipped all the network hardware drivers so I had no network.

I redid the .config copying by hand, reran a make oldconfig by hand, and this
time it worked although the make bzimage stage was still very noisy.  And I
had a network when I rebooted to that version.

dmesg however was full of squawks (its attached) so I rebooted back to
2.6.28.2.  Unforch the reboot killed the ethernet PHY's, so I had to crawl
under the desk, pull the power and net cables, and go get a cuppa and check
the weather (its snowing, yet, still, 3 days now about 40% of the time)
before coming back in and plugging everything in and tapping the power switch.

I'm getting smarter though, the next time I want to get out of a boot that
isn't stable, I'll just tap the hardware reset, its a heck of a lot easier on
hard drives.

The first squawk is caused apparently by my bios, that is in fact fixed if I
update to the most recent, but that one cannot be used in the same machine as
a stable kernel, its not in its vocabulary.  Support from ASUS is
non-existent, I have sent several messages up the pipeline to them, with no
response in over 60 days now.

Since apparently (see the dmesg) that first mtrr related bios wrinkle is fixed
by the workaround, I see no valid reason to mark the system as 'Tainted'
because of it, but it is.  What linux calls a Bios flub-up may be true, but
once its 'fixed' with the older bios, the machine is rock solid.  The newer
bios version doesn't need the fixup, and its uptimes range from 1 hour down
to about the time x gets init'ed, sometimes even before, I have see it hang
in the bootup, tap the hardware reset and it works ok for maybe an hour next
time.

The next one (Oops/Bug) looks to be something in the cx88 code, which it seems
has been changed since 2.6.28.

I also note that 2.6.28 doesn't have to do a workaround for reversed MAC's,
also noted in this dmesg.

All in all, not ready for prime time use here, particularly when I want to
reboot and have to use the hardware reset to do it if I don't want the MCP55
ethernet ports turned off in a manner that requires this full powerdown reset
stuff to recover.

That tends to take the fun out of playing the canary in the coal mine here.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

View attachment "dmesg-2.6.29-rc3" of type "text/plain" (56452 bytes)