Date:	Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:52:21 +0300
From:	Mihai Donțu <mihai.dontu@...il.com>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	Gary Zambrano <zambrano@...adcom.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Linux 2.6.36

On Thursday 21 October 2010 00:01:27 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So it's a week later than I wanted (plus all the days that added up
> from me having a few 8-day weeks during this release window), but it's
> out there now.
>
> The delay means that the merge window that opens now would cover the
> upcoming kernel summit. However, I really hope that everybody sends me
> their patches and pull requests _before_ KS even starts. And if you're
> affected by the kernel summit you probably won't have time during it
> to finalize anything that week anyway, especially for those staying
> for plumbers afterwards, and...
>
> So I'm going to hope that we could perhaps even do the 2.6.37 -rc1
> release and close the merge window the Sunday before KS opens. Since
> 2.6.36 was longer than usual (at least it felt that way), I wouldn't
> mind having a 2.6.37 that is shorter than usual.
>
> But holler if this really screws up any plans. Ten days instead of two
> weeks? Let's see if it's even reasonably realistic.
>
> Anyway, I'm appending the shortlog since -rc8. At least it's
> noticeably shorter than the -rc7 and -rc8 logs were, and most of it
> really is pretty small.
>
> For the bigger picture of changes since 2.6.35, see for example
>
>    http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_36
>
> but it may be worth pointing out that we ended up disabling the new
> fanotify system calls because people were still unsure about the
> interfaces. Better let the interface discussion cook a bit longer than
> release with a bad interface that we need to redo.

I get a rather big amount of 'b44 ssb1:0: eth0: powering down PHY' messages in
dmesg shortly after booting:

# grep -c 'b44 ssb1:0: eth0: powering down PHY' /var/log/messages
124566
# grep -c 'b44 ssb1:0: eth0: late interrupt' /var/log/messages
1141

The same thing happens when resuming from suspend to RAM. This is accompanied
by kworker/0:3 (?) taking 100% CPU time for 1 min or so. I'm running 2.6.35
now, so I might be wrong about the name of the kernel thread.

Thanks,

--
Mihai Donțu

Download attachment "syslog-messages.gz" of type "application/x-gzip" (299996 bytes)

View attachment "lspci.txt" of type "text/plain" (1759 bytes)