Date:	Mon, 28 Nov 2011 12:14:41 -0600
From:	Jack Byer <ftn768@...il.com>
To:	linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-hotplug@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Kernel oops on bootup if initramfs built with udev version higher
 than 163

My computer hangs on bootup if I build my initramfs with a version of
udev higher than 163. I've obtained a boot log by using the serial
console and uploaded the results here:

Successful boot: http://pastebin.com/UUEHqjge
Failed boot: http://pastebin.com/ZEp1ni3Z

The only difference between the two cases is the version of udev used
to build the initramfs - both kernel images are the same. If I boot an
initramfs that uses an old version of udev but then have a newer
version installed in the OS it does not cause any problems.

I've been working around this problem for a long time first by
temporarily downgrading udev each time I needed to build a new
initramfs and later by building kernel images that didn't need modules
to boot so that I could keep using the same initramfs across kernel
upgrades. Now that I have a working serial console to capture the boot
sequence I'd like to see if there's any information I can provide that
would enable the problem to be fixed the right way.