Date:   Tue, 25 Oct 2016 15:52:26 +0100
From:   Marc Zyngier <marc.zyngier@....com>
To:     Sören Brinkmann <soren.brinkmann@...inx.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     Zubair Lutfullah Kakakhel <Zubair.Kakakhel@...tec.com>,
        monstr@...str.eu, ralf@...ux-mips.org, jason@...edaemon.net,
        alistair@...ple.id.au, mporter@...nel.crashing.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-mips@...ux-mips.org,
        michal.simek@...inx.com, linuxppc-dev@...ts.ozlabs.org,
        mpe@...erman.id.au, paulus@...ba.org, benh@...nel.crashing.org
Subject: Re: [Patch v5 04/12] irqchip: xilinx: Add support for parent intc

On 25/10/16 15:44, Sören Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-10-25 at 12:49:33 +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>>>>

>>> I'll add the following for the error case
>>>
>>> 	pr_err("%s: Parent exists but interrupts property not defined\n" ,
>>> __func__);
>>
>> Please do not use this silly __func__ stuff. It's not giving any value to
>> the printout.
>>
>> Set a proper prefix for your pr_* stuff, so the string is prefixed with
>> 'irq-xilinx:' or whatever you think is appropriate. Then the string itself
>> is good enough to find from which place this printk comes.
>
> Haven't looked at the real code, but is there probably a way to get a
> struct device pointer and use dev_err?

You wish. Interrupt controllers (and timers) are brought up way before
the device model is available, hence no struct device.

I've started untangling that mess a couple of times, and always ran out
of available time (you start pulling the VFS, then the scheduler, the
creation of the first thread, and then things lock up because you need
to context switch and no timer is ready yet).

I may try to spend some time on it again while travelling to LPC...

	M.