lists  /  announce  owl-users  owl-dev  john-users  john-dev  passwdqc-users  yescrypt  popa3d-users  /  oss-security  kernel-hardening  musl  sabotage  tlsify  passwords  /  crypt-dev  xvendor  /  Bugtraq  Full-Disclosure  linux-kernel  linux-netdev  linux-ext4  PHC
Date:   Tue, 13 Mar 2018 15:45:45 -0700
From:   Nagarathnam Muthusamy <>
To:     Jann Horn <>
Cc:     kernel list <>,
        Linux API <>,
        Konstantin Khlebnikov <>,,
        Prakash Sangappa <>,
        Andy Lutomirski <>,
        Andrew Morton <>,
        Oleg Nesterov <>,
        Serge Hallyn <>,
        "Eric W. Biederman" <>,
        Eugene Syromiatnikov <>,
Subject: Re: [RESEND RFC] translate_pid API

On 03/13/2018 03:00 PM, Jann Horn wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Nagarathnam Muthusamy
> <> wrote:
>> On 03/13/2018 02:28 PM, Jann Horn wrote:
>>> How do you do that in a race-free manner?
>> AFAIK, the monitor runs periodically to check the aliveness of the processes
>> and this period is too short for pids to recycle. I will get back with more
>> information
>> on this if any other mechanisms are in place.
>>> But the translator doesn't actually need to have access to those
>>> procfs files, right?
>> I thought it should have access to those procfs files to satisfy the
>> visibility constraint that targeted PID namespaces should be visible
>> in caller's PID namespace and ptrace_may_access checks that
>> constraint.
> If there are two containers that use the same UID range,
> ptrace_may_access() checks from a process in one container on a
> process in another container can pass. Normally, you just can't even
> reach the ptrace_may_access() checks because you can't reference
> processes in another container in any way.

If there is no way to reference the process in another container,
there is no way to get to the /proc/<pid>/ns/pidns_id file which
exports the ID of that container right? So, a translator has to
first guess the container ID then try translate. Even after translation,
unless the translator has proper privileges, I believe it cant do
anything with just the pid right?

> By the way, a related concern: The use of global identifiers will
> probably also negatively affect Checkpoint/Restore In Userspace?
Will look into this. Can you point me to the specifics of the
usecase which could be negatively affected?