Date:   Sun, 08 Apr 2018 22:15:30 -0500
From:   Dan Williams <dcbw@...hat.com>
To:     Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
Cc:     Merlijn Wajer <merlijn@...zup.org>,
        Tony Lindgren <tony@...mide.com>,
        Sebastian Reichel <sebastian.reichel@...labora.co.uk>,
        Mark Brown <broonie@...nel.org>,
        Liam Girdwood <lgirdwood@...il.com>,
        Rob Herring <robh+dt@...nel.org>,
        Lee Jones <lee.jones@...aro.org>,
        Jaroslav Kysela <perex@...ex.cz>,
        Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.com>, alsa-devel@...a-project.org,
        linux-omap@...r.kernel.org, devicetree@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, kernel@...labora.com
Subject: Re: simultaneous voice/data works (was Re: call/normal switch was
 Re: omap4-droid4: voice call support was)

On Sun, 2018-04-08 at 09:41 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > > mmcli -m 0 --enable
> > > mmcli -m 0  --location-enable-gps-nmea
> > > watch -n .3 sudo mmcli -m 0  --location-get-gps-nmea
> > >
> > > ...can be used to get GPS data. Droid4 seems to have rather bad
> > > GPS,
> > > so you should probably put it near window for testing.
> > >
> > > Is there way to grab data from modemmanager and feed it to gpsd,
> > > so
> > > that normal applications can access gps? I don't see easy way.
> > >
> > > I tried --location-enable-gps-unmanaged , but that did not work
> > > for
> > > me.
> >
> > That requires a TTY that would spit out the GPS data; in this mode
> > MM
> > only sends the start/stop commands, and what comes out the GPS TTY
> > is
> > undefined (at least by MM).
> >
> > So unless you know that one of the 6600's TTYs does GPS and in what
> > format it does GPS, then no.
> >
> > Doesn't --location-get-gps-nmea work for you?  That will spit out
> > the
> > latest NMEA traces MM gets from the modem, if it supports NMEA.  I
> > believe --location-status will tell you what methods MM supports
> > with
> > the modem.
>
> Yes, --location-get-gps-nmea works for me.
>
> I guess one way forward would be to implement --location-get-gps-nmea
> support for qmicli, and use that?

Yeah, libqmi already has the necessary bits but it's not plumbed
through to qmicli.  Note that qmicli is a straight interface to QMI and
doesn't try to impose abstractions on anything, so you wouldn't get --
location-get-gps-nmea, but you'd instead be working directly with the
QMI PDS (older) and/or LOC (newer) service commands.

Dan