Date:	Wed, 14 May 2008 09:09:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:	Sage Weil <sage@...dream.net>
To:	Jamie Lokier <jamie@...reable.org>
Cc:	Evgeniy Polyakov <johnpol@....mipt.ru>,
	Jeff Garzik <jeff@...zik.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: POHMELFS high performance network filesystem. Transactions,
 failover, performance.

On Wed, 14 May 2008, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> > Similarly, if only 1 out of 3 replicas is surviving, most people want to
> > be able to read their data, while Paxos demands a majority to ensure it is
> > correct.
>
> (Generalising to any "quorum" (majority vote) protocol).
>
> That's true if you require that all results are guaranteed consistent
> or blocked, in the event of any kind of network failure.
>
> But if you prefer incoherent results in the event of a network split
> (and those are often mergable later), and only want to protect against
> media/node failures to the best extent possible at any given time,
> then quorum protocols can gracefully degrade so you still have access
> without a majority of working nodes.

Right.  In my case, I require guaranteed consistent results for critical
cluster state, and use (slightly modified) Paxos for that.  For file data,
I leverage that cluster state to still maintain perfect consistency in
most failure scenarios, while also degrading gracefully to a read/write
access to a single replica.

When problem situations arise (e.g., replicating to A+B, A fails,
read/write to just B for a while, B fails, A recovers), an administrator
can step in and explicitly indicate we want to relax consistency to
continue (e.g., if B is found to be unsalvageable and a stale A is the
best we can do).

> In that model, neighbour sensing is used to find the largest coherency
> domains fitting a set of parameters (such as "replicate datum X to N
> nodes with maximum comms latency T").  If the parameters are able to
> be met, quorum gives you the desired robustness in the event of
> node/network failures.  During any time while the coherency parameters
> cannot be met, the robustness reduces to the best it can do
> temporarily, and recovers when possible later.  As a bonus, you have
> some timing guarantees if they are more important.

Anything that silently relaxes consistency like that scares me.  Does
anybody really do that in practice?

sage